You Will Need
- A packet of yeast (available in the grocery store)
- A small, clean, clear, plastic soda bottle (16 oz. or smaller)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Some warm water
- A small balloon
What To Do
- 1. Fill the bottle up with about one inch of warm water.
( When yeast is cold or dry the micro organisms are resting.)
- 2. Add all of the yeast packet and gently swirl the bottle a few seconds.
(As the yeast dissolves, it becomes active - it comes to life! Don't bother looking for movement, yeast is a microscopic fungus organism.)
- 3. Add the sugar and swirl it around some more.
Like people, yeast needs energy (food) to be active, so we will give it sugar. Now the yeast is "eating!"
- 4. Blow up the balloon a few times to stretch it out then place the neck of the balloon over the neck of the bottle.
- 5. Let the bottle sit in a warm place for about 20 minutes
If all goes well the balloon will begin to inflate!